Website Url Verification Tutorial
- Introduction to Google Url Verification
Verification has two steps, verification and claiming. Verification proves that you have control over the URL, and claiming lets Google know in which Google account you want to use the URL. You can only claim the URL in one Google account, but you can verify it in many of them.
Verification must be done first via Google Search Console (formerly Webmaster Tools). Claiming is done on the Google Merchant Center Business Information page. Both steps must be completed in order for your product listings to be accepted by Google.
We recommend that you verify and claim the root or parent domain of your website, without any prefixes. For instance, use "walmart.com" rather than "www.walmart.com". Verifying the former automatically verifies the latter, as well as any other sub-domains.
- Step 1: Log into Google Search Console
This topic covers how to claim and verify your Yahoo Store Website URL for use with Google Merchant Center. Google requires you to verify and claim your Website URL, otherwise, your listing will be disapproved. There are a lot of steps, but the process is very simple and should only take 5-10 minutes.
First, go to Google Search Console (formerly Google Webmaster Tools) and log in with your Google Login.
If your domain appears in the list of website properties drop-down on the top-left, then skip down to Step 7.
- Step 2: Add your Site to Google Search Console
Click the "Add Property" button from the Domains/Properties drop-down on the top-left, and enter your website domain name in the URL Prefix box as https://domain.com
- Step 3: Verify Ownership of your URL in Google Search Console
After you add your site, you will be redirected to the 'Verify Ownership' window. On this page, select 'Upload an HTML file' as the 'Verification method'.
Copy the file name that you see to your clipboard, e.g.
- Step 4: Specify Sitemap Verification File in your Yahoo Store
- Open a new browser window.
- Log into your Yahoo Store Manager
- Go to the 'Search Engines' page, under the 'Promotion' section.
- In the box labeled "Google Sitemap Verification File", paste the file name that you copied from the Verify Your Site page.
- Click 'Done' to save the settings.
- Publish your Order Settings.
Reference: Verifying Site Ownership with Google
- Step 5: Confirm Upload of Verification File
Go back to the 'Verify Ownership' page in Google Search Console.
Click the 'Verify' button. If all goes well, a success message will appear and your site should appear in the properties drop-down.
- Step 6: Add Website URL to Google Merchant Center
- Go to Google Merchant Center and log in with your Google Login.
- Go to the GMA Business Information - Website page.
- In the Website URL input box, enter the Website URL you entered before. If it is already entered, skip down to step 6 below.
- Click 'Save'.
- If you receive an error like 'Internal Error' after clicking 'Save Changes', then please try again later.
- After the changes are saved, click the 'Claim this URL' link.
- Your website URL should now be verified and claimed. This completes the tutorial.
- Alternate: Google Sitemap Verification via META tags for Yahoo Store
If you enter the Google Sitemaps Verification File in your Yahoo Store, but it appears blank when you view it in your browser, you can try the META tag method instead.
- Select the META tag Verification Method in Google Search Console.
- Copy the META tag code to your clipboard.
- Log into your Yahoo Store and open Store Editor.
- Go to 'Variables > Page Properties > Head-tags'.
- Copy the META tag code into the box, click the Update button, and then publish your store. The meta tag code should look something like:
<meta name="google-site-verification" content="abdcdef" />
- After your store is published, go back to Google Search Console and click the Verify button.