Website Url Verification Tutorial
- Introduction to Google Url Verification
Verification has two steps, verification and claiming. Verification proves that you have control over the URL, and claiming lets Google know in which Google account you want to use the URL. You can only claim the URL in one Google account, but you can verify it in many of them.
Verification must be done first via Google Webmaster Tools. Claiming is done on the Google Merchant Center Basic Settings Page. Both steps must be completed in order for your product listings to be accepted by Google.
We recommend that you verify and claim the root or parent domain of your website, without any prefixes. For instance, use "walmart.com" rather than "www.walmart.com". Verifying the former automatically verifies the latter, as well as any other sub-domains.
- Step 1: Log into Google Webmaster Tools
This topic covers how to claim and verify your Yahoo Store Website Url for use with Google Merchant Center. Google requires you to verify and claim your Website URL by May 18, 2010, otherwise, your listing will be disapproved. There are a lot of steps, but the process is very simple and should only take 5-10 minutes.
First, go to Google Webmaster Tools and log in with your Google Login.
After you log in, your screen will appear something like below. If your domain already appears as verified on this screen, then skip down to Step 7.
- Step 2: Add your Site to Webmaster Tools
Click the "Add a Site" button, and enter your website domain name beginning with 'http' and, if applicable, without the 'www.' prefix.
You can specify either 'https' or 'http', but we advise 'http' to avoid SSL issues.
Leaving off the 'www.' prefix is advisable because then you will also be claiming all sub-domains of your domain.
- Step 3: Verify Ownership of your Url in Google Webmaster Tools
After you add your site, you will be redirected to the 'Verify Ownership' page. On this page, select 'Upload an HTML file' as the 'Verification method'.
Copy the file name that you see to your clipboard, e.g.
- Step 4: Specify Sitemap Verification File in your Yahoo Store
- Open a new browser window.
- Log into your Yahoo Store Manager
- Go to the 'Search Engines' page, under the 'Promotion' section.
- In the box labeled "Google Sitemap Verification File", paste the file name that you copied from the Verify Your Site page.
- Click 'Done' to save the settings.
- Publish your Order Settings.
Reference: Verifying Site Ownership with Google
- Step 5: Confirm Upload of Verification File
Go back to the 'Verify Ownership' page in Google Webmaster tools.
Click the link in step 3, where it says to 'Confirm successful upload by visiting ...'. A new window or tab should open, and it should look something like the screen shot below. If this doesn't happen, check again that you followed the prior instructions.
- Step 6: Click Verify Ownership Button
From the 'Verify Ownership' page in Google Webmaster tools, simply click the 'Verify' button.
If it is successful, you will be redirected to the Dashboard and your domain will be shown on the top left corner of the page, as shown below.
- Step 7: Log into your Google Merchant Center Account
Go to Google Merchant Center and log in with your Google Login.
- Step 8: Add Website Url to Google Merchant Center
- Click the 'Settings > General' tab from the left column.
- In the Website URL input box, enter the Website URL you entered before. If it is already entered, skip down to #5.
- Click 'Save Changes' at the bottom of the page.
- If you receive an error like 'Internal Error' after clicking 'Save Changes', then please try again later.
- After the changes are saved, scroll down to the Website Url setting again and click the 'Claim this URL' link.
- Your website URL should now be verified and claimed. This completes the tutorial.
- Alternate: Google Sitemap Verification via META tags for Yahoo Store
If you enter the Google Sitemaps Verification File in your Yahoo Store, but it appears blank when you view it in your browser, you can try the META tag method instead.
- Select the META tag Verification Method in Google Webmaster Central.
- Copy the META tag code to your clipboard.
- Log into your Yahoo Store and open Store Editor.
- Go to 'Variables > Page Properties > Head-tags'.
- Copy the META tag code into the box, click the Update button, and then publish your store. The meta tag code should look something like:
<meta name="google-site-verification" content="L5xRoKd-x3q321bcTz5l2LJjLqJvtcKIqmH0BGlIEO" />
- After your store is published, go back to Google Webmaster Central and click the Verify button.