Shopify Data Feed Question and Answer
- How to add custom fields (metafields) to a Shopify product catalog
Shopify supports metafields, which allow you to add custom fields to your product catalog. Metafields can be attached to both product and product variant resources.
Our system always loads product-level metafields. If you need access to variant-level metafields, please contact us and we can turn on that setting. It slows down the feeds and is rarely needed, which is why it is not turned on by default. We also can load collection-level metafields if needed.
Shopify does not provide a way to add and edit the metafields out of the box, but you can install the free Metafields Master app to allow you to do this easily.
Common custom fields you may want to add are google_product_category, gender, age_group, and promotion_id. Below are instructions for adding a google_product_category to a product. Similar instructions apply to other metafield apps, like the tried and true Metafields Editor, which no longer has a free plan for new customers.
- Launch the Metafields Master app
- Click on Products
- Click on a particular product
- Click the Create New button
- Enter the following:
Namespace = google
Key = product_category
Description = leave blank
Type = String
Value = Home & Garden
- Click the Save button
To quickly look up Google Product Category values for your items, go to Manage Feed > Taxonomy Search and start typing to find categories matching your search strings as you type.
Click the Refresh button from the Manage Feed page to load the data into our system. Namespace and Key are combined to create a field named google_product_category, which can be mapped to any feed attribute from the Manage Feed > Define Fields page.
Here are some recommended metafield names for some other commonly used fields:
Namespace Key Example Value product_category Home & Garden age_group kids gender male promotion_id Christmas Sale custom_label_0 BestSeller
You can also bulk load metafields using an Excel spreadsheet. Although it is beyond the scope of this article, we highly recommend learning how to do this, as it will save you considerable time versus adding metafields one-by-one to individual products. If you need a starter template (Excel), please contact us.
- Agency Onboarding Instructions for Shopify Stores
The instructions below are for agencies to bring on new customers. Once completed, the agency can add feeds for the customer to their account.
Instructions to Agency
- Click the Copy to Clipboard button below
- Paste into an email to your customer
- Send the invitation email
- Wait for the user to email you back confirming they have installed the app.
- Go to My Account > Add Feed
- The Store Name should be pre-filled. If missing or incorrect, please enter it.
- After you click Add Feed, on the Modify Settings page, the shop token should be pre-filled. If not, please contact us to configure it.
Here are the instructions to install the Aten Software Data Feeds app. Installing this app does not change your store in any way. It solely gives us read-only access to your product catalog via the Shopify API.
- Go to Aten Software Shopping Data Feed Shopify App
- Click the Add app button
- When prompted, click the I installed on behalf of ... button applicable to you.
- Reply back to this email with a note like "The app is installed."
Staff Permissions Required to Install App
Here are the minimum Shopify Store Staff Permissions required to install our Shopping Data Feed Service Shopify App, as of October 2021.
- Export products and inventory
- Manage settings
- Manage and install apps and channels
Only the above four check boxes need to be checked.
Here is a screen shot: Minimum Shopify Staff Permissions To Install Shopping Data Feed Service App
The app itself requests the following permissions/scopes: