Google Shopping to end free listings
Jun 5, 2012
Google made a major announcement on May 31st that they will be ending their free listings program and switching exclusively to a paid model sometime this Fall. Google Product Search will be renamed to Google Shopping.
Your existing Google product feed will continue to go to Google Merchant Center as before. The feed will be used to generate the pay-per-click listings, known as Google Product Listing Ads (PLAs).
As an incentive, merchants who sign up before August 15th will receive a $100 Adwords credit, and 10% off of clicks for the rest of the year. Sign up here.
We understand the concern this causes to our customers, who tend to be small to mid-size merchants that rely heavily on Google. Here are a couple recommendations.
We recommend all merchants to sign up for Product Ads. You will be able to set a daily budget on your Adwords spending, and bid as low as $0.01 for clicks.
You can optimize the data feeds for PLA via the following techniques:
- restricting the products that are submitted via product filtering
- setting bid levels
- monitoring performance
At this time, however, we recommend you submit all your listings and set your daily spend and bid to a level you are comfortable with. There is a two minute Getting Started video that shows you how to set up your Product Listing Ads campaign quickly and easily.
We recommend you sign up for the other free shopping engines, which are Bing Shopping (via Microsoft Adcenter) and TheFind. We are looking into other free shopping engines, like PriceScan and ShopWiki, and will let you know more as we find out. As always, feel free to let us know what shopping engines you are interested in, and we would be more than happy to set up the data feeds for you.
Here is the link to the official announcement.
- TheFind Feed Upgrade for Glimpse (Jul 20, 2012)
- GoShopping is Defunct (Jul 18, 2012)
- Product Listing Ads Campaign Quick Signup (Jun 29, 2012)
- New Feed to Catalog-On-Demand with 6 Months Free Trial (Jun 21, 2012)
- 'upc' renamed to 'gtin' in Google feeds (Jun 15, 2012)
- Google Shopping to end free listings (Jun 5, 2012)
- Invalid google_product_category is now an error (May 23, 2012)
- Tax, shipping, and google_product_category are now required (May 6, 2012)
- Hardware issue resolved and new pricing (Apr 14, 2012)
- Hardware issue (Apr 13, 2012)
- Bing Reopens and New Pricing Reminder (Mar 30, 2012)