Google Feed Upgrade and Other Announcements
Jul 2, 2013
Google Feed Upgrade
All Google feeds will be upgraded in the next few weeks with the specialized attributes listed below. Most merchants will not have to take any action.
- identifier_exists - If you have previously obtained an exemption from the identifiers requirement, then you will need to set the default value of this field to "false". For all other merchants, there is no need to take any action.
- multipack - This is only applicable if you combine and sell your products in packs of identical items, e.g. six bars of soap. In that case, indicate the number of identical products in the multipack.
- adult - Set to true if an item is "non-family safe" as defined by Google. This supplements the 'adult' account-level setting in your Google Merchant Account.
TheFind Feed Upgrade
All TheFind feeds will also be upgraded in the next few weeks to the new feed specifications. The new specification follows Google feed specifications, with some additional TheFind-specific fields. This upgrade will be automatic, and there is no need to take any action.
Shopify, Volusion, and Magento Go Support
We have data feed support for Shopify, Volusion, and Magento Go stores in testing now. We can also read data from other shopping carts that export Google Atom XML feeds. If you have stores on an alternate e-commerce platform, get in touch with us and we can give you more information on setting up your data feeds.
The Marketplace Fairness Act was passed by the Senate recently. It will require you to collect sales tax for states and localities throughout the US if you have more than $1m in remote sales. You will effectively be forced to purchase software and services to handle the modifications to your e-commerce systems, and further be liable for audits to taxing entities throughout the country, even though you have no physical presence or voting rights there!
Many of our customers have already joined the eMainStreet Alliance, which is a grass-roots effort of volunteers who are fighting this law. I encourage you to Join Now if you agree with this mission, and call or write to your state representatives about how this act would impact your business.
Many of the shopping engines provide their own category structures (taxonomies). Your account is now a one-stop resource for viewing and searching these category lists. Simply go to "Manage Feed > Taxonomy Search", and you will find the latest taxonomy specific to that feed. Categories are available for Amazon Product Ads, Become.com, Bing Shopping, Google Shopping, NexTag, PriceGrabber, Pronto, Shopping.com, and Shopzilla.
- Amazon Product Ads changed to SFTP (Sep 18, 2013)
- Product Count Monitoring for Google Shopping (Sep 17, 2013)
- Gift Certificates Causing Google Suspensions (Sep 5, 2013)
- Google FTP Server Update can be disregarded (Aug 23, 2013)
- Google Feed Upgrade Completed (Jul 10, 2013)
- Google Feed Upgrade and Other Announcements (Jul 2, 2013)
- Google Shopping Presentation and FTP Server Update (Mar 6, 2013)
- Google Taxonomy Update (Jan 25, 2013)
- Product Categorization Service (Jan 1, 2013)
- Google Shopping Optimized Bidding by Price Range (Dec 20, 2012)
- Shopzilla Feeds Upgraded (Nov 10, 2012)